Monday, February 11, 2013

My love

Dear Francel,

"What do you do for fun? Do you go out?"

That's how we started. Simple enough.  Our first date wasn't suppose to be a date.  It was a favour that turned into a dinner.  It was a dinner full of laughing and talking and smiling.  I remember thinking that I hadn't seen a cuter grin in all my life, and I had the biggest butterflies.  I was so nervous.
Our first actual date was to the movies. Your favourite.  I missed a lot of the movie wondering if you meant to bump my arm, or if you were going to hold my hand.  I still have my movie stub.
An incredible trail of amazing dates followed.  An amazing Italian restaurant where they lit my creme brulee on fire at the table.   Your shirt and tie made my heart skip a beat, as did the way you made me feel the entire night - special. I would tell someone about our day and even I couldn't believe how great it sounded when repeated.  And it really is that great.
There has always been something different.  Of course I was attracted to you, but it was so much more than that.  I had to be around you. It has always felt like finding someone who is suppose to be in my life.  I felt so instantly comfortable telling you all about my life, my dreams, my hopes.  And ever since you've respected and supported them all. I love learning about you too - about your ninja turtle and batman birthday parties, how incredibly important your family is and how hilarious you are (especially when you're over tired)! Sometimes I don't even know what we're laughing about by the end of it, but I know how great it makes me feel.
We've found favourite places together (Cali Grill lounge, Ghiradelli's free chocolate!), discovered new cuisine and decisively decided I need to work on my bowling skills and you on your mini-golf ;)
When you took me to California Grill it took my breath away.  Not the restaurant but you. You take my breath away.  But I got scared.  I was falling in love.
I was so scared to love you.  Love has never worked out before. Now I know nothing in the past ever worked out because I was meant to love you. No one has ever treated me the way you do - when you open the car door on non-special occasions, when you pick up on things I'm excited about and make them happen (This is 40!), when you truly listen to what I say and how I feel, when you support my goals, when you stand up for me, when you pick me up when I fall and helped me turn around that issue. When I can walk in the room and your face lights up with the biggest smile and you pull me into your arms - just the sight of me makes you happy? Just the sight of you makes me happy.
It hasn't all been butterflies and happiness.  We've dealt with some hard things as well.  But those strengthen us, they add to the authenticity of our love, and our life together.  A very wise man told me that if we didn't have struggles we wouldn't fully be able to appreciate the good times.  You were right.  For as many lows as we've had, we have gotten through them together, and we always will.
You made my holidays.  Being 3300 miles away from my family and friends is tough. The holidays make it tougher.  Osborne Lights. Making egg nog. Grinchmas. Be Our Guest Restaurant  Mickey's Christmas Party. The Rose & Crown and Candlelight.  California Grill lounge with Holiday Wishes. Your love is astonishing.  And the thing is, all of these things were breathtakingly beautiful, fun, incredible and amazing - but the best part of all of it, the part of all of it that matters, is that I got to do it with you.
I can't even start to describe New Years Eve. I had never been so sure that I wanted to spend a year, the rest of my years, with someone as  I was when 2013 began.
Ice cream at home. Cooking at home.  Baking at home. Watching our favourite shows.  Watching movies from our childhood.  Me watching your scary movies, you watching my girly movies. Bowling. Mini-golf. Walking around the mall. Slushy mango wine. Breakfast in bed.
Spending the night in with you is one of the best dates we ever have.
I love you. I'm in love with you. I will love you for the rest of my life.  You have had a larger impact on me in our time together than I ever thought possible.  You make me want to be a better version of myself, you taught me to trust, to open up and to allow myself to accept your love in return.
I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for showing me a real relationship. Thank you for loving me- flaws and past included. Thank you for laughing at my dorky jokes. Thank you for making me feel like I can conquer the world with one hand when you're holding the other.
I am absolutely in love with you, and I cannot wait for our future together, and all the incredible adventures ahead.
Forever you'll be my always,
Kate


No comments: