Monday, September 16, 2013

Concierge

I love my job.

That's something I haven't been able to really say before.  I have loved the money from certain jobs, the people from other jobs, but this time, most of the time, I really love it.  I usually have that nagging feeling when I have jobs that I need to look for what's next and find something better.  However as a concierge I am really enjoying myself.  There are days where it's tough, and a lot of the time in the beginning I found myself never leaving work happy because I felt like I had to ask for help too often. The thing is, we are asked so many random questions about EVERYTHING all the time.  Every single day, every single guest is totally different.  I've been asked anything from the best restaurants on and off property, to secret soft opening information, to where to buy cigarettes at 2am, to where can you buy constipation medication.  My friend got asked for a 1 cent refund.  I've heard incredible stories of love and compassion, of families using this trip to bond back together after tragic events, to celebrating the adoption of their children, to reuniting after deployment.  I've seen proposals, set up numerous magical moments, and turned angry guests into want-to-be friends.  There is so much empowerment as a concierge to own situations and take the opportunity to ensure lifelong guest loyalty.  I know it's a business, and honestly I love that side of it as well.  I think the masterminds behind the marketing, the synergy between products and the understanding of low cost, high impact recovery is incredible.  Yes a lot of my job is checking guests in and booking reservations.  But I'm helping to create memories.  I'm helping to create happiness, excitement and fun.  I may be checking you in, or booking your Chef Mickey reservation, but I'm also the gateway to hopefully one of the best vacations of your life.

I work a lot.  I also am going to university full time.  I thought 'oh full time school, full time work - I got this.' But in all honesty if I wasn't so passionate about both it wouldn't be working.  It's hard.  I have to manage school with work with housework and then throw in some sort of relaxation, fitness, and lets not forget friends.  I know that it will all be worth it when I finally get my degree, and I also know that this degree won't be the last schooling I take.  I definitely see a Masters in my future; especially if my company at the time will help pay for it.

But that, in a nutshell, is the last couple months of my life.  I was a part of the pilot team in the roll out of MagicBands and MyMagic+ as a whole at DisneyWorld.  I've gotten to drive a Cadillac and purchase or create amazing gifts for numerous people.  I made a family cry from happiness with an upgraded room.  I assisted people who had an incredibly tough year, feel like kids again.  I've also seen the magic my co-cast work everyday, and the hard work and ridiculous hours they put in to create the experience.  I work with amazing cast, and throughout meeting with almost all of them by now, amazing managers.  They have been nothing but supportive and hoping to help me get ahead.  I appreciate their advice and assistance so much.

We're going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tomorrow and I'm SUPER EXCITED.  The Halloween parade is the best one at Disney World in my opinion and I cannot wait to see those grave diggers!

2 comments:

Blogger said...

Are you paying over $5 / pack of cigs? I buy high quality cigarettes over at Duty Free Depot and I save over 70%.

ทดลอง เล่น pg said...

ทดลอง เล่น pg สล็อต ไม่ สะดุด ให้บริการสมาชิกอย่างเต็มรูปแบบ และยังสามารถสมัครผ่านเจ้าหน้าที่ในแอพพลิเคชันที่ใช้งานได้ทั้งบนมือถือและคอมพิวเตอร์ pg slot นอกจากนี้ยังมีช่องทางอื่น ๆ